Monday, December 1, 2008

Slate floor and on-sale turkey...

So, Thanksgiving was fun. I went to my family's house and took a WHOLE DAY off from working on the house. Novelty! In the true spirit of thanksgiving, we had pot-roast with Yorkshire puddings and chocolate mousse and then watched National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. God I love a traditional holiday celebration.

Of course, then the work began. The weekend finally came to tile the guest bathroom, which has been intimidating me for a while now. Actually, the whole thing worked like a charm. I was expecting the slate to be a nightmare to work with, but our little wet saw worked wonders and the slate was more durable than I'd thought. The only real problem is that slate tiles aren't actually uniform in their thickness, so some sit up a little higher than others. The goal is to pound the high ones lower into the mortar with a rubber mallet (ooooooh that's a fun toy) but I don't seem to be very good at that part.

So essentially I have a very lovely, slightly uneven but good-feeling-on-the-feet tile floor. It still has to be sealed and grouted and all of that, but at least it's stuck down. Yipee!!! This means I'm one step closer to having a nice bedroom to sleep and a nice bathroom to get clean - what a luxury! Now if we can just stop every faucet in the house from dripping...

In a totally random whim at the grocery store I found free-range hormone/antibiotic/scary-chemical-free turkey for ridiculously cheap after the actual thanksgiving rush died down, so I cooked my very first turkey (easy as pie. Easier actually.) while I was putting down the slate. Move over Martha Stewart - I'm gaining ground.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Sweetie, floor looks great. Make sure you have a fantastic seal, as Mum ruined the slate in the bathroom with bleach due to the crappy job carried out by the previous owner! Thanksgiving food sounds great, and who doesn't love the Griswalds???

Amy said...

Ooooh god don't scare me about the seal! Terrifying! :)