Monday, December 22, 2008

Acoustic Irony


What is that saying about the road to hell? Paved with good intentions I believe. Well, by the looks of things I've managed to lay a few stones myself. In an effort to do the house 'the right way' I've been attempting to go the extra distance in terms of the little perks of a house, like acoustic barriers.

In a two story house with all bamboo (eventually) floors upstairs the whole echo/elephant-walking-noise issue comes into play. In a well-meant effort to reduce this effect, I spent several hundred dollars and a very tense couple of hours with my father attempting to make these huge foam rolls of acoustic under-padding fit the first room we bambooed. *Please excuse this new addition of the verb 'to bamboo' into the english language. I'm pretty sure that's the correct conjugation - to bamboo, bambooed, bambooing, perhaps bambooer? Bambooee? Oooooh I like that one.*

As it turns out, this accoustic barrior seems to have had the opposite effect we were hoping for. Apparently the foamy-ness of the acoustic stuff makes it very springy and hence difficult to nail the bamboo through with any solidity. So, as you walk in the first room, in spite of the effort we took to secure the sub-floor, the bamboo planks shift and creak.

In an experimental fashion I've begun the second bedroom with no underpad at all, which does seem to cut down on the shifting and creaking (and, in a happy coincidence, the cost as well). My recent visitor, Reverand Phil (who looks like a David to me, and so in my head is Rev. David) was kind enough to say that his wood floor creaked at first, but that effect reduced as it 'settled in'. So I maintain some hope that my floor is just 'settling' and not actually bouncing on the foamy thing. Granted it's a small hope, but hope none the less.

Attached is the picture of the meager progress I've made on the second bedroom. I have to admit I'm not looking forward to doing the floor in the master bedroom because there is just so much of it. Eek!

No comments: