Thursday, November 6, 2008

Overload... Or, 'terminal painting.'


I think reality is starting to sink in. I've started painting, which seems like a simple enough job. Really it's at the bottom of the list of difficult things to do. Not a lot of skill, just repetitive motion and fumes. Not even as messy as the popcorn ceilings. And yet, I find myself daunted by the enormity of the paint job. Always before when I've painted it's been small rooms, single walls, minor projects. With this house I can paint all day and go to sleep with the knowledge that there is only going to be another like that coming, and others after that.

The paint is just the beginning. With everything it seems that the doing of the thing itself is simple, but preparing the house for the doing of the thing is ridiculous and complex. Putting down the floors, for example, requires tightening the sub-floors, putting new screws into the squeaky bits, filling holes, leveling (clearly the scariest bit of all), putting down underlayment and THEN you can start actually putting the bamboo. The bamboo itself is like a minor finishing step in the process. It seems everything in the house is that way.

Not only that - It's dawned on me that I'm going to be camping in my living room for a long time. Many moons. And my damn air mattress sighed it's last sigh last night and I woke this morning on concrete. Grrrr. Nothing like a good swift dose of reality to shake things up a bit.

Is this when someone is supposed to remind me that I am getting what I asked for?

In better news, my cat (Cat) found a cupboard that he has settled into in my bedroom. Historically he always claims one cupboard wherever we live, and his choice has been made. He's also found a nemesis in the fat squirrel who lives in the neighbor's tree - they've developed a morning routine of angrily chattering at eachother whilst maintaining a safe distance.

No comments: