Monday, June 29, 2009

Deconstruction


It's funny the way these things come when you need them. I suppose any big project is like that. It's been a frustrating month and so this project was well-timed. There is something incredibly liberating; joyful even, about tearing a room apart with nothing but a hammer, a crowbar and your own hands. I'm not much of a destructive person, but I have to admit this came when I really wanted to tear something apart.

Of course, I'm also a little daunted by the fact that my master bath, although never beautiful, had at least been functional before I got at it. Now, sadly, it has no plumbing with which to function. No toilet, no sinks, no tub, not even many walls. It started just because we were thinking we would replace the tub surround, and so had to pull the tile off the wall. Once that started, we found out that the tile was the only thing holding the wall together - apparently there was long-standing water damage. In any event, what started as a relatively minor project turned into a room stripped down to the studs and about 10 trash bags of rubble.

So - who's coming to visit who knows anything at all about bathroom remodels? Hmmm? Any takers? It would be nice if you had also recently won the lottery, so that I could buy the raw materials. That would help too. Anyone?

Now that the destruction is done, I'm largely ignoring the existence of the master bath and will probably finish the master itself before I wade back into the scary gaping-hole that I've managed to create. Mom and dad helped me to lay the first couple of lines of bamboo in the bedroom so that they're straight and I can carry on over the summer. My parents, like the sane people they are, have escaped to Canada where it is not hovering around the 100 degree mark, but is a normal human temperature. I'm stuck here, sans plumbing.

No comments: